Thursday, May 3, 2007

The work continues

Hello fellow Bloggers,
I apologize for the lack of new posts to this blog. I had been a bit busy and openlineblog had good dialog going on a few of their posts, so I did not see a need for encouraging discussion on this blog.

That will hopefully change. Over the next few months I hope to encourage community input and keep district 131 residents informed of things going on concerning our schools. Our open forum here can be a useful tool to our school board to survey the community and keep it's members up to date on issues that are not normally news worthy to the local media.

I will update this post as I fine tune this blog site to continue to serve the old purpose and realign it as a communication tool within the district.

In the mean time, Dee and I would like to thank all of those who have encouraged and supported us throughout the election process. We look forward to being representatives of our community in District 131 as board members.

We would like to invite everyone to attend the School Board meeting on May 7th @ 7pm. We are scheduled to be sworn in that night. Due to some information that is required to be delivered to the school board prior to our swearing in, the swearing in may be rescheduled to Tuesday May 8th.

The regular board meeting will still take place Monday. Please attend and show support for the dedication of the out going members.

Please note in the comments. An excellent beginning to this blog as a communication tool. I have copied a comment and entered it in this post from Dan Barriero. His dedication is continuing, I hope community members do not stop their campaign to support our schools.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan Barreiro said...

Congratulations Dee and Rayanne. There are many challenges ahead. District 131 will need everyone working together to make things better.. Although there has been progress over the past few years is not enough. Change is slow and hard work but we must stay the course. I hope you are able to work with the incumbents and the administration. I truly believe that everyone wants to improve our schools and community. Some how we need to put aside our differences and really listen to each other. Someone asked me if there was any hope for 131 after the referendum failed and I replied yes. There are no magic bullets but we need to work towards a common good not against each other.

Even though I was not re-elected by the voters, I will continue to be involved. I am not going anywhere. This my hometown.

I would like to invite everyone to a rally to support Education Funding Reform on Saturday, May 12 at 2:00. It will be held at Family and Faith Church. This is being organized by A+ Illinois. Now that I will have some free time, I will be helping with this issue. Anyone who wants to join is welcome. We need everyone working on this issue. There was a good showing in Springfield today. A good showing in Aurora would also go along way since some of our state reps are not taking this issue seriously.

I have been reading this Blog and I have been disappointed in both sides. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but insults and name calling is uncalled for. I don't think that accomplishes anything.

Dee and Rayanne,

If there is any I can do to help, let me know.

May 2, 2007 10:18 PM

Anonymous said...

Dan thank you for your good thoughts I wish you had been re-elected. We do need to keep to keep working on this and I believe if you keep helping we can work through this. You are right name calling and not supporting who are trying to help this district will not help. Remenber there will be another election so run again.

Anonymous said...

Dan, thank you. I had hoped to be sitting with you at that board table. I am happy to hear you will still be fighting with us to make education a priority here in Aurora and in Illinois as a whole.
I believe education is one of the most important things we can do for our children and ourselves.
Dan I look forward to working with you as we both begin our new endeavors. I will see you Saturday May 12.

Anonymous said...

Okay letter, but sort of weak for a existing school board member. I have just a few questions/comments.

Why is all change 'slow'?

I hope the incumbants and administration are able to work with both of you.

You should never need to 'put aside your differences' to work with one another.

Word of advice-get rid of the pastor as head of the referendum committee.

Time will tell how true Mr. B is to his words of 'continued involvement'.

I have watched the East School Board over the past several years and I am dissapointed in them and maybe they should also take Mr. B's advice.